Thursday 4 August 2011

Welcome to Macedonia!


Arrival in Frankfurt, Germany
The start of the trip was quite hectic, a last minute phone call from the airline had me on a different flight, transferring through a different city and delaying my arrival time by an hour. But on the plus side the new flight had fewer transfers and was more expensive but I got it at my cheap flight cost. The flight was ok, it was complete with tons of turbulence, a screaming toddler 3 rows up who cried almost non-stop, and a scared German girl in the seat next to me who was afraid of flying.
Now I am sitting in the airport lounge of Frankfurt; the Germans are as expected, organized and brief in their addresses. The airport here though is enormous! There are 50 gates in one terminal alone and there are four terminals in total; and they are expanding! I got here at 9:30 in the morning and it took me over an hour just to get to my next gate. Thank god I had 4 hours to do it. I had a lovely German sandwich while waiting and it was as expected; harsh, course bread with margarine and salami and it was 5 euro lol. It seems that this airport is the transfer station for not only Europe but also the Middle East. Most of the people on my plane were headed for India or Tel Aviv, least to say I don’t understand anything that anyone is saying around me. This airport also has very few power outlets and no wi-fi which means I have a long wait. The good thing about the foreign environment is that I don’t feel sad or nervous about being alone anymore, my tired brain has gone into survivor mode! Sitting alone in the Ottawa airport was so sad and lonely, travelling alone is definitely more stressful and just less fun then having family or friends around, but I am glad that I am still glad that I am doing this, it is great experience, looks great on my academic record and you guys all get to see pictures of inside Macedonia! I know, try to contain your excitement.
Only two more hours until my flight, then I will be in Greece. I will update you guys then!

No comments: